Friday, August 26, 2016

Camping FAIL

 We decided to go camping last weekend.  Our friends, Tim and Lisa, invited us.  Their daughter was turning 4 and they wanted to have her party at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground.  We decided that since it's about 20 minutes from our house, to give it a try.  Emersyn Kate has been sleeping through the night and we thought, "Hey, let's give it a go."  Well, a few days before we went, Brian started saying, "I'm not sure this is a good idea.  Could be the best night ever or worst night ever."  I told him to not be so negative.
Here we are setting up.

See that Jay Feather camper behind the boys?  Well, that's what Tim and Lisa were camping in.   We should have turned around and headed home then.  They have a kitchen, bathroom, AC, and 3 queen beds in there.  
Trying to get the fire going.
Analiese's party.

There was a lot of fun stuff for the kids to do  -play in the sand on the volleyball courts, swim, play on the playground, play basketball, ride bikes,...
Katie was napping in this pic.  It's been in the 90's for more than a month, I think and this was the first day in the 80's, so it actually felt kind of cool.  
Well, we tried laying the boys down at 9, but they were wild, so we let them back up and they played on the playground for another hour.  At 10, we tried reading to them again for about 15 min.  We could tell both of them were tired, but Beckett turned crazy.  He started crying hysterically and would not calm down.  Emersyn Kate was already asleep and Hudson managed to fall asleep with all the screaming going on.  We tried reading more and bribes, but he was so overly tired and confused that nothing helped.  At 11, I got in the van with him to try and get him to calm down.   At 11:30, he fell asleep, so I opened the van door and carried him over to the tent, the minute we got in the tent, he woke up and started crying some more.  We went back to the van again - we did that 2 more times, until finally about 12:45 he was knocked out.  We were able to lay him down and we tried sleeping.  I kind of dozed off, but Brian couldn't.  At 1:45, Beckett woke back up screaming, so I said, "That's it!  Let's get packed up and go home."    We packed up pretty quickly and were home by 3:30.  I quickly showered the boys to get the smoke smell off of them and gave Emersyn Kate a quick bath.  Meanwhile, Brian was unpacking the van and started laundry.  At 4:30, Brian and I finally laid down and fell asleep fast.  Thankfully, the kids slept in until 8:30.   Next time, we'll try camping in the backyard to see if Beckett is ready.  



This is the 3 of us before church last Sunday.  We all ended up dressing alike.  I dressed Beckett and Brian helped Hudson.  If only Brian and Katie were matching too, it would have been perfect.  

1 comment:

  1. camping with littles must be tough, especially if they're not used to it. could the warm weather have been part of the problem?
    I was telling Jacob that I would like to go camping but I'm more of a "glamping" kinda girl. If it's warm there NEEDS to be ac in the cabin, and flushable toilet, and a shower. I could never rough it by camping out in a tent besides, my back would kill me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! Many Blessings!