Sunday, September 30, 2012

Coming Soon: Jesus Prom

Our church hosts a prom for mentally and physically handicapped people every year and it is about 6 weeks away and I am getting so excited.  Brian and I weren't able to help last year because it was 2 days after Hudson's birth, but we are pumped to jump back in this year.  We've served in different areas each time we've helped.  We have chosen to wait tables this year.  I'm nervous and excited - hopefully I don't make a big mess.   Seeing the joy in everyone's face always brings tears to my eyes.  I've read many different statistics and sadly, at least 50% of all babies diagnosed with Down Syndrome in utero are aborted and it absolutely breaks my heart.   
  Everyone is always so excited that they usually start showing up about an hour before.
This is a picture well before the prom was supposed to start
  On November 9th in Lexington, heaven is going to be looking down and smiling.  

"When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”  Luke 14: 13-15 

I love the song from Sidewalk Prophets - Live Like That  
Some of the lyrices are:
Was I Jesus to the least of us
I want to live like that
and give it all I have
so that everything I say and do points to You
If love is who I am
then this is where  I stand
recklessly abandoned
never holding back
I want to live like that
Am I proof that You are who You say You are
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You


2 comments:

  1. devastating statistics. that's so great you're helping your community in some way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! Many Blessings!